The space enclosed by the building wall is defined as the attic and is located directly under the roof. This is the area which is usually not occupied by anybody, and so it is unheated. Thus attic insulation is necessary as according to the statistics poor attic insulation will account for up to 15 % of the total energy loss in the house. Thus, insulating an attic is vital in the home energy saving process.
How Attic Insulations reduce electricity bills?
Attic insulation increases the value of a house and is an effective way to reduce the electricity bill. Given below are the tips which will help to perform proper insulation in your attic.
- Selecting the appropriate attic insulation type along with its R-value is important. Thus, there should be enough information about your budget, the building design, and its climate.
- The attic insulation should be in your budget range, besides it meets your requirements. The most common insulation types are cellulose, fiberglass batt, and spray foam insulation.
- Fiberglass insulation can be installed easily and long insulation stripes are used for it. Any color can be given to it.
- Cellulose attic insulation can be blown inside the covering and also provides good coverage for even smallest spaces. It’s also available in the form of Insulation bags. It can be applied with the help of insulation blower.
- Spray foam attic insulation works by stretching and expanding. It covers small holes, gaps, cracks and openings effectively. To apply this insulation functional tools are required.
- It’s always advisable to use high density insulation for exterior walls.
- One must consult a professional, whether to install attic vents or not.
- The attic insulation should be placed nearby light fixtures as that’s the main source of heat loss. The framings exhaust fans, boundaries, chimneys, soffit vents, lighting fixtures, and pipes should be sealed outside of the attic.
- Read the manuals thoroughly, before installing the attic insulation. Follow all precautionary measures mentioned. Always hire experienced and specialized professionals for applying spray foam or cellulose attic insulations.
- If the insulation is lifted from any place then fix it properly or replace it immediately.
- One should not block soffit vents to ensure attic ventilation.
- All leaks should be repaired before starting the insulation procedure, to make the attic insulation work effectively.
- The attic trap and access door should be covered properly.